The teacher purposefully plans, models, and explicitly demonstrates the important cognitive strategies for comprehending and responding.
During a modelled read, the teacher may ‘think aloud’ to demonstrate the use of reading comprehension processes or word identification strategies. Selected texts can be brief, sharing as little as a sentence or a single paragraph, and can be revisited for multiple purposes.
The teacher looks for passages that:
• represent many viewpoints that reflect the perspectives, cultures, and ways of knowing of First Nations, Métis, and other cultures;
• include strong examples of cues and conventions or comprehension strategies to be highlighted; and
• reflect formative assessment data and incorporate curricular expectations across disciplines.
Modelled reading serves a variety of purposes, including:
• expanding content knowledge;
• promoting oral language and vocabulary development;
• modelling fluency;
• modelling before, during, and after strategies for comprehension (see Appendix A);
• developing motivation and appreciation for reading;
• modelling effective reading behaviours;
• introducing different genres, text structures and writing styles; and
• demonstrating reading for a purpose.
• Formative assessment of a student’s application of the skills and strategies explicitly demonstrated in a modelled read can be assessed through teacher observations, conversations with students, and student products.
School Division/First Nation Educational Authority Resources
• Types of Modelled Reading (pdf)
…..• Read Aloud (pdf)
…..• Think Aloud for Comprehension (pdf)
…..• Talk Aloud for Comprehension (pdf)
• Explicit chart (word)
• Modelled Reading-Text Structures vs. Features (word)
• Modelled Reading-Text Structures in expository text (word)
• Modelled Reading-Types of Text Structures for Expository Writing (word)
• The Super 7 Reading Comprehension Strategies (word)
• The Spring Celebration_Read_Aloud_Plan(1) (pdf)
• Four Ways of Responding Orally to Reading (word)
• Read Aloud Lesson Plan (word)
• Read Aloud Reflection Sheet (word)
• Read Aloud Module Handout 2014 – Sask Reads website (word)
• Modelled Reading in GSSD (pdf)
• Modelled Reading Look-fors _2014_11 (pdf)
• Modelled Reading Self-Reflection (pdf)
• Modelled Reading Instructional Approach (word)