The teacher invites students to share in the demonstration of cognitive for comprehending and responding. It is this participation that helps build confidence in the development of new and previously taught skills. Interaction is fostered in a variety of settings, including whole group, small group, and partner. Shared reading texts, based on curricular expectations and purpose, are selected, revisited, or created.
The teacher looks for texts that:
• represent many viewpoints that reflect the perspectives, cultures, and ways of knowing of First Nations, Métis, and other cultures;
• include strong examples of cues and conventions or comprehension strategies to be highlighted; and
• reflect formative assessment data and incorporate curricular expectations across
A variety of texts, often at students’ instructional level, are used during shared reading,
- big books;
- graphs, maps and charts;
- morning message; • environmental print; • repetitive pattern books; • visual images; • songs; and • student created books.
Shared reading serves a variety of purposes, including:
• exposing students to a wide range of text forms and genres;
• engaging students in supported reading so that the whole class can share the reading experience;
• increasing students’ exposure to text;
• teaching before, during, and after reading strategies (see Appendix A);
• integrating content of other curricula areas;
• teaching intentionally concepts of print, phonemic awareness, phonics, and fluency in context;
• sharing responsibility toward the goal of independent reading; and
• engaging students in conversation.
• Formative assessment of a student’s application of the skills and strategies explicitly demonstrated in a shared read can be assessed through teacher observations, conversations with students, and student products.
• Teachers utilize checklists and/or anecdotal records to record observations and conversations on students’ use of strategies.
School Division/First Nations Education Authorities Resources
eWorkshop Online Teaching Resource Shared Reading videos
• Shared Reading – Cass the Colour Robber (word)
• Lesson Plan Template Sample Shared Reading (word)
• Shared Reading Lesson Planner Template 2 (word)
• Shared Reading Day Plan Page One (word)
• Shared Reading Day Plan Page Two (word)
• Shared Reading Reflection Sheet (word)
• Shared Reading in GSSD revised Oct_2015 (pdf)
• Shared Reading Look-fors
• Shared Reading Self Reflection (pdf)